Friday, July 11, 2014

Day 23: Arzua - O Pedrouzo

Day in one word: anticipation

The mood among the pilgrims, crowded as we are now, is definitely up from the last couple of weeks. Nacho, who still limps due to extensive pain, smiled the whole way today. People are singing and buying each other drinks, cheering at every kilometer marker that shows we are nearing Santiago. Tomorrow is the day, and the air is rife with anticipation. I'm not sure how I'll react? Will there be tears, or will it just feel like a natural progression, closure to a month of walking? Will I be moved by the spiritual symbolism, or will I be turned off by the cover of man made traditions and excess? I really have no idea what to expect.

But I feel a joy to be so near. There is a general merriment as extra money is spent on a bowl of ice cream or a load of machine-washed laundry. No one cleans their clothes by hand now (who wants to waste the precious little time we have left doing that?), yet everyone waits patiently for a turn at the dryer. The snoring at night doesn't bother anymore, and every parting comes with a hug and a kiss because it could be the last time.

I think I'm definitely ready to arrive, not because I necessary want to be done walking (I'm feeling great - pain free!), but because it'll be good to end on a positive note. I'm ready for what is next, even if it means a giant move across the ocean. God has decidedly brought me to a place of anticipation for the upcoming year, and I'm both grateful and amazed at his working.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Almost done! We were so excited that we walked from Arzua all the way to Santiago and stayed in a hotel. We got up early to get our Compostela. And waited around for our friends that had stopped in O Pedrouzo. We had a wonderful last meal together then said our goodbyes.

    Then it was, "Now what?" It was sort of anti-climactic. It was difficult... but at least we had each other to process it with. Just be prepared for a bit of a letdown. It's good that you've been keeping a journal along the way... it helped us to process everything after all was said and done.

    We're proud of you and can't wait to hear some stories :)

    J & R

    ReplyDelete